Frida Textile Collage
Frida Textile Collage
Date: Sunday, July 9th
Location: 2449 South BLVD. Suite #106
Time: 2:30 pm
One of my most popular annual classes, this textile collage class is a NO SEW foray into composition, color and pattern, while we focus on my favorite female artist and kickass heroine, Frida Kahlo! Join me for my annual Fridappreciation class, right on time to celebrate her birthday! Viva Frida!
Using textiles from such amazing designers as Alexander Henry, True Spirit and more, I'll be instructing you on art fundamentals, as well as my techniques for creating gorgeous work that lasts. Fabulous Frida will be showcased in many different versions, in my fancy designer textiles, while my fabric hoard will be utilized to layer, detail and add elements to our collage. Learn the best techniques for fussy cutting motifs and elements, and get tips for creating interesting and eye catching compositions. Make it extra fanciful with beads, buttons, sequins, trim and more!
I'll have all new Fridas this year, as well as the option to create a bag or a canvas!
What you're getting:
- a canvas, bag or tote to create on
- hundreds of cotton designer fabrics to work with, both patterned and solids
- multiple Fridas to use for your collage (really! check out the examples of work from previous years in the photo gallery!)
- the best adhesives to use for this activity
- techniques for creating your work, as well as design tips for wreath shapes
- lengthy support for mastering the process
- patient and at-your-own-pace learning
*Fee includes all materials*
Frida Kahlo was a Mexican artist known for her vivid, colorful self-portraits and surrealist paintings. Her life was marked by pain and tragedy, including a debilitating bus accident in her teens and a tumultuous marriage to artist Diego Rivera. Kahlo's work often incorporated elements of her personal experiences, such as her physical pain and her Mexican heritage, and frequently included symbolic imagery and surrealistic elements. Despite struggling with poor health throughout her life, Kahlo continued to create art until her death in 1954, and she has since become an icon for feminist and Chicano movements. I love to pay tribute to her all around mental and physical strength, (and true kick assery(, with this annual class!
This class is BYOB, and drinking, (or eating, if you’d like to bring snacks), are always options!
I am dedicated to offering stress free, stress reducing art classes that are fun, no matter what your art experience may be!
While you go at your own rate in all my classes, this tends to be a slow process class.
*As with all Ruthi Makes classes, no previous experience in art or special talents are necessary!*
What To Expect at a Ruthi Makes Workshop
Ruthi is a veteran teacher, with Texas Education accreditation in Studio Art and over 25 years of combined classroom experience. In her classes you will enjoy:
- All the tools, materials and techniques.
- Differentiated lessons for your pace, ability, style of learning and needs.
- A relaxing learning and creative experience, with wine, a small group and flow.
- Lengthy one on one instructional time.
- Theory, historical tidbits and materials lessons for every medium or project.
- Your own unique and individual project, to your taste and aesthetic.
- No stress classes – making it easy to learn a new skill, in an easygoing atmosphere.
- No experience neccessary - EVER!
As a one woman business, all material costs for classes are taken from registration fees. As such, I do not refund classes unless I am cancelling the class. If you cannot make a class, and you give me prior notice, (at least 12 hours), your fee will be rolled over to another class of your choice for up to a 12 month period. Classes require a five person minimum to be held. If I do not have an adequate number of participants, your full class registration fee will be returned to you, using the payment provider you originally used.
Want to see this class offered on an additional date?
Want a cool private party activity or create an awesome group activity for another gathering?
I am always available to create an additional class date for your group of five or more participants!